Saturday, February 12, 2011

Carnival Fantasy - Days 2-5

So, I sort of slacked on writing every day as I had planned to do. We did have lots of fun, so maybe that's why there was a lack of time blogging.

Wow, where to start? The food was absolutely amazing. I felt a little guilty about eating an ice cream cone every time I passed the machine, so most nights I ordered fish or shrimp. The only fish I was unsatisfied with was the mahi. The fried shrimp were excellent, though, probably my favorite. Well, I'm not sure if they bested the lobster for my favorite meal of the trip. That night, unfortunately, the filet mignon and the lobster were on the menu together, so instead of ordering two of one of them, I got one of each.

Dessert most nights consisted of this train of thought. "wow, I'm too full for chocolate melting cake, so I guess I should just order orange sherbet. Otherwise, the lobster and filet may end up on the floor in the elevator." But, there were at least two nights I opted for the melting cake and somehow managed to make it back to the room without spewing.

On to the boat's entertainment. A Vegas style show was offered every night but one, I believe. It was complete with singing, dancing, thongs and backless chaps. The room wasn't free of children, so I'm guessing several parents had a fun time fielding questions later on those evenings. Each show was progressively better, with the last night being "A Ticket To Ride" - a Beatles tribute. It was pretty good and would have been better if I cared much about the Beatles. The main singers weren't that great to me. Our church's music minister and his wife would have blown those two out of the water.

The daily Fun Times was delivered every evening so the wife and I always sat down and reviewed the next day's activities. There were many ship excursion lectures as well as destination shopping talks which I'm sure would have been great if I was looking for a nap. There were many fun events planned too. Three ping pong tournaments were held in a secluded area above the lido deck. This guy typing won two of the three tournaments! Ping pong champion!! I'm now the proud owner of two ships on a stick, the customary prize for winners of on-board contests. No geriatric can hold me down!

Although i would like to neglect mentioning the one time we played mini golf, I will mention it. We played a small game with the Horner's in which a decrepit Michael seized the crown of mini golf champion. There, I said it, let's move on.

Brenna and Laura were treated by their ridiculously nice husbands to a full body massage at Spa Carnival. It was one of the package deals with a massage, facial, foot thing, and some other stuff. Brenna enjoyed it, so I was happy. We chose to spend most of the day on the boat when we were docked at Freeport. It was the worst port ever! We were docked in a shipyard. We did find our way off the boat for a few minutes to peruse the shops outside the gate. Most things were made in china or goofy knock off Dora items. There was one small shop where two local guys were carving some things, and that alone was probably worth getting off the boat to see. Otherwise, lots of junk.

Also, I would be remiss if i didn't mention the plethora of games made available for the cruisers to participate in. We enjoyed playing in the Amazing Race style game, which turned out to be lots of fun. We placed second and received an authentic carnival medallion valued a probably less than a nickel. Oh, and if you go on the fantasy and play this game, the answer to the goofy Camp Carnival question is Star Wars. Don't ask.

Brenna and I also chose to attend the ship's version of Minute to Win It. I was selected to play one of the games. Unknowingly I chose Bobble Head. This consisted of me and a challenger wearing pedometers on our heads and shaking it feverishly for 30 seconds. Wow, talk about shaken baby, well, shaken Shane. I managed 82 bobbles in 30 seconds. The only thing is, my competitor, assistant cruise director, "Sexy Craig" managed 82 bobbles as well. So, we were forced to have a 20 second shake off. He was declared the victor as I spent 20 seconds debating how much the medical bills were going to be. No, I only managed 52 shakes and Craig beat me with 65. The amplitude of my shakes wasn't enough. Stupid pedometer.

Aboard the Carnival Fantasy were also two break dancers. Without being stereotypical, it was a black guy and an Asian guy. Yeah, never saw that coming. They were awesome. So when they asked for volunteers, Brenna and I quickly cowered away trying to look invisible. Where can you buy those Harry potter cloaks anyway? Brookstone? Skymall? But, even with our best impression of invisibility, Brenna was selected to participate in the break dancing competition, mind you, in a dress. She competed well only to be upstaged by a young black boy who had all the moves. Scores of onlookers applauded for each contestant and fun was had by all. All until the enormous black lady started dancing. Gross. Side boob. Ugh!

I had written a large section about the Atlantis, which was awesome, but it didn't get saved somehow and I'm too stubborn to go back and rewrite it. So there, I guess I showed them, whoever they are.

The cruise was awesome. Cruises remain the be one of the best values around for a vacation.BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: